Two Rivers and Avalon Grow Under New Management
Pinnacle Venue Services delivers impressive first-year results.
Early in 2017, the City of Grand Junction entered into an agreement with Pinnacle Venue Services to manage the Two Rivers Convention Center and Avalon Theatre. The city appears pleased with the results. Also last year, the City added management of the new Amphitheater at Las Colonias Park.
The 2017 year-end results are impressive. In the first year under their Pinnacle's management, the venues delivered increased profitability, decreased expenses, recognized more efficient cost management and improved the guest experience. Additionally, their team implemented several venue improvements, streamlined operations and introduced new and successful events to Grand Junction. I can confirm the cities assessment of the situation. We here at 95 Rock and Townsquare Media are the official media partners with Pinnacle and the venues. We've witnessed their professional performance first hand.
“It’s been a busy and transforming year for our team and venues,” said Pinnacle Venue Services’, Maria Rainsdon, General Manager of the Two Rivers Convention Center and Avalon Theatre. “We had an aggressive action plan when we took over and are pleased with our results thus far. With that being said, we have a long way to go to achieve our ultimate vision for the venues. One area we will continue to focus on is offering a diverse line-up. Last year’s event listing had something for everyone, and our focus will continue to bring a diverse event line-up to the area.”
City Manager Greg Caton added, “This is nothing but good news for the community and for the users of these facilities. Pinnacle has been doing an outstanding job implementing improvements and sharpening the operation. We are extremely pleased with what we have seen. This solidifies our belief that this partnership was the right decision.”
The notable achievements accomplished during the past year under Pinnacle's management include:
- The operating subsidy was decreased by over $195,000 by focusing on revenue growth and expense controls. Budgetary guidelines were implemented for both revenue projections and expense controls resulting in accurate monthly reporting.
- Technology upgrades were carried out at both venues including building-wide WiFi and Fast-Trak High-Speed Internet access. The upgrades were a much-needed feature to attract meeting planners and have delivered a better guest experience by decreasing wait times concessions.
- Guest experience improvements for meeting planners, attendees, and concert-goers were advanced through the implementation of a customer service program, launching a new user and mobile-friendly website, creating new events, and revamping the food and beverage offerings at the venues.
- Focus on using local business partners took priority for the management team. They worked with ProVelcoity on the technology upgrades, contracted Web create to redesign and host their new website, aligned with local breweries and food providers to sell their product, and partnered with Monumental Events to provide ticketing services to the venues.
- Venue operations were overhauled by implementing Standard Operating Procedures for all departments. Food and Beverage operations were improved with new inventory processes that improved the freshness of the product. This change aided in improved profitability by the reduction of waste. The menu and food offerings were revamped and now focus on sourcing local and fresh products over using premade, frozen, or canned items.
- Employee relations were improved by creating and implementing training programs for all event-based employees as well as introducing PEAK, their employee recognition program.
Credit: Press Release, Marissa Dionne Senior Director of Marketing OVG Facilities