Semi Driver in Fiery Accident Charged with 40 Counts
23-year-old, Rogel Lazaro Aguilera-Mederos, is being charged with 40 counts in connection to the fiery crash that left four dead and injured a number of other people.
The fatal accident happened on April 25, after Aguilera-Mederos "lost control" of his semi and plowed into at least 28 vehicles causing an explosion. The interstate was closed for days due to investigations.
The company who employed Aguilera-Mederos could also face charges.
Rogel Lazaro Aguilera-Mederos is being charged with the following:
- Six counts of first-degree assault
- 24 counts of attempted first-degree assault
- Four counts of vehicular homicide by reckless driving
- Two counts of vehicular assault by reckless driving
- One count of reckless driving
- Two counts of violent crime causing death or serious bodily injury
- One count of violent crime using a weapon
24 of those counts are considered felonies. Aguilera-Mederos will be advised of his charges Friday and could face years in prison.