Fish for Free This Weekend in Colorado
Normally, you'd need a license to fish in Colorado. This weekend is an exception because the waters in the state are open for fishing, no license required.
The free fishing weekend (June 2-3) is for anyone who just wants to get out and throw a line in the water for some serious angling, as a way to relax or maybe try fishing for the first time.
The weekend hosted by Colorado Parks and Wildlife (CPW) is designed to get families outdoors for a fun activity and catch one of a number of the state's cold and warm water species of fish.
CPW offers some great resources for both new fishermen and seasoned anglers. Here are a few of them.
- Fishing Report - Updated weekly for lakes in Colorado.
- Fishing Atlas - Helps you find great fishing spots.
- 101 Places to Take a Kid Fishing - A map showing the best places for youngsters to fish.
- Stocking Report - A list of places where catchable sized trout have been stocked.
- Colorado Fishing App - With over 1,300 fishing spots in Colorado, the app helps you find them, identify species, and plan your fishing trip.
For novice fishermen, CPW has a list of fishing basics and a Bait Fishing Basics video.
Even though fishing is free, anglers must still abide by all of the other Colorado fishing rules and regulations. Once you've looked this over, grab your gear and try to catch a trophy fish or one you can cook and eat as a delicious way to end a day of fun.