Glenwood Caverns Sued By Family of Colorado Girl Killed On Haunted Mine Ride
The family of a six-year-old girl killed on an amusement park ride this past summer has filed a lawsuit against the park.
Wrongful Death Lawsuit Filed
According to the Post Independent, the parents of Wongel Estifanos have filed a wrongful death civil action lawsuit against Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park. The young girl died September 5 when she fell to the bottom of the Haunted Mine Drop. The amount of the lawsuit was not disclosed, but the family is seeking wrongful death damages from grief, loss of companionship, and more.
CDOPS Found Four Contributing Factors
The lawsuit comes on the heels of a report last month from the Colorado Division of Oil and Public Safety that said four factors led to the operator error that resulted in the accident. The factors include lack of procedure, inadequate training, the restraint system, and more than one operator taking responsibility for the ride. The report said there were two violations of the Amusement Ride and Devices Regulations.
The Go Fund Me Account
A Go Fund Me account set up by the family to help defray funeral costs and other expenses has raised nearly $80,000 of their $100,000 goal. The Go Fund Me page says "Wongel was a beautiful, caring, and cheerful girl who loves Jesus so much for a 6-year-old girl. Her life was cut short in this tragic accident."
A tragic accident, indeed, for all involved including Wongel, her family, the park, and the ride operators. This case could go to trial within a year.