Start 2023 Right With a ‘First Day Hike’ At These Colorado State Parks
What better way to kick off the new year than to enjoy a "First Day Hike" at one of Colorado's awesome state parks?
Participating state parks offer a chance to get outdoors and enjoy nature with guided hikes, scavenger hikes, prizes, and tons of fun. Here's a quick look at the participating locations.
What Is a "First Day Hike"?
This is a perfect way to kick off the new year. It's a chance to achieve some of those personal fitness resolutions while enjoying the great outdoors with family and friends.
According to a press release from cpw.state.co.us, "Participating state parks offer unique opportunities to get outdoors and learn about nature with guided hikes, scavenger hunts, prizes and more."
Things You'll Need
For these First Day Hikes in Colorado, the hikes are free, but you'll need a valid state park pass. Daily vehicle passes will be available for $10 at all Colorado state parks beginning January 1, 2023.
You'll also need:
- Guided hikes may require a reservation prior to the hike. Check the park’s webpage for additional details.
- Wear warm clothes and dress in layers. If trails are icy or snowy consider bringing trekking poles, snowshoes, or shoe spikes.
- Hikes will vary in skill level and length depending on location and weather conditions.
- Bring snacks, water, and extra clothing
- Please pack out all your trash and leave no trace
Why You Should Participate
The website World Walks offers six reasons why you should start the new year with a walk/hike:
- Most of us end up overeating/drinking at Christmas. It’s always good to be mindful of this in the new year and think about ways to drop those calories and get active again.
- Walking is great for your physical health and it’s fantastic for your mental health, too.
- Physically walking is great for your body, and not just because its fat-burning qualities. It can lower your blood pressure, strengthen your bones and muscles, and prevent certain conditions like heart disease and type 2 diabetes.
- Walking can be a great time to practice mindfulness, which calms the mind and brings us into the present moment.
- Walking can be a really sociable activity. If you’re catching up with a friend this new year, don’t hit the pub, suggest a nice new year's walk.
Time To Plan For The New Year
Colorado Parks & Wildlife offer a number of fascinating walks beginning January 1, 2023. These will continue well after the new year. Check out their webpage and get up to speed with upcoming events.
When it comes to New Year's 2023, check out the gallery below for a number of amazing "First Day Hikes."