Top 5 Movies Filmed In Western Colorado
We are fortunate to live in one of the most beautiful places on Earth. Western Colorado also tends to be very desirable for movie directors as a backdrop for their "masterpieces". (or in some cases, straight to DVD bargain bin specials) Here are the top 5 movies filmed in or near Western Colorado.
5. The Lucky Ones (2008) - Filmed in Grand Junction - The Lucky Ones starred Tim Robbins and Rachel McAdams which should count for something, right? The story involved war veterans who were crossing the country and trying to figure out how to move on with their lives.This movie was also filmed in parts of the Midwest, but we in the western slope know that doesn't really count since no one leaves this area to return to the Midwest unless they are being ordered by a court to do so.
4. The Prestige (2006) - Filmed in Durango/Silverton/Telluride - Hugh Jackman, Christian Bale, and Scarlett Johansson were the main stars in this pretty decent movie about dueling magicians. Personally, I would have preferred that the main stars recreate their roles as Wolverine, Batman, and Black Widow...but I guess we'll have to settle for magicians. This movie gets extra points for filming their train scenes on our favorite railway in Silverton.
3. Mr. & Mrs. Smith (2005) - Filmed in Glenwood Canyon - Did you realize that Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie graced us with their presence a decade ago? Mr. & Mrs. Smith told the story of a married couple that didn't know that they were each assassin. If you've ever been stuck on the eastern side of I-70 due to a rock slide blocking the roadway, you will have to admit that becoming an assassin has entered your mind.
2. Thelma & Louise (1991) - Filmed in Moab/Canyonlands - You know that famous scene where Thelma and Louise drive their car into the Grand Canyon? Yes, except that wasn't the Grand Canyon. It was our own Canyonlands National Park. (Yes, Utah, we're claiming Canyonlands as our own so deal with it)
1. True Grit (1969) - Filmed in Ouray/Montrose/Gunnison - John Wayne. Yes, John freaking Wayne filmed much of his classic True Grit right here in our backyard. Yes, other movies had famous scenes with western Colorado as a backdrop, but True Grit is an American movie legend. And, it was filmed almost entirely here. Classic.