How Much is a Colorado State Parks Pass?
It seems like a simple question. Unfortunately, it's a little complicated. What is the cost to enter a Colorado State Park?
According to the official Colorado Parks & Wildlife webpage:
All Colorado State Parks have entrance fees. All vehicles are required to have an entrance pass and some parks have walk-in fees.
There has been an update when it comes to state park passes. According to cpw.state.co.us, the "Family Annual Parks Pass" replaces the "Hang Tag Annual Parks Pass" that was introduced back in 2019.
Who gets to use the "Family Annual Parks Pass"? That pass is associated with the state pass purchaser's household address. In other words, anyone from the same household as the person buying the pass may use it. The pass can be transferred from one vehicle to another, so long as a resident of the purchaser's address is present.
Where does one get these passes? The tags can be purchased at all 41 state parks and all CPW offices. If purchased online or from a licensed agent, tags can be picked up during your first park visit. What constitutes a "licensed agent"? A list of agents can be found at www.cpwshop.com/issuerlist.page.
Clear as mud? Okay, so far so good. So, what kind of pass can you get, and how much are they?
- Daily Vehicle Pass - $9-11 per vehicle
- Tow Vehicle Pass - No fee for vehicle under-tow at the time of entry. Motorhomes still require paid parks pass.
- Annual Affixed Vehicle Pass - $80 per vehicle. Our Vehicle Annual Pass can now be purchased at any time of year and is valid for a full 12 months of use.
- Family Annual Pass - $120 per person. These passes are associated with an individual purchaser's address instead of a vehicle. The Family Annual pass can be moved between vehicles as long as any resident of the address associated with the pass is present.
- Annual Affixed Vehicle Multiple Pass - $40 per vehicle. After the purchase of an Annual Vehicle or Family Pass, vehicles in the same household are eligible for a discounted multiple passes.
- Aspen Leaf Pass (CO Residents 64 years or older) - $70 per vehicle. The Aspen Leaf pass is available for purchase at any time of year and is valid for 12 months from the date of purchase.
- Aspen Leaf Multiple Pass - $35 per vehicle. After the purchase of Aspen Annual Pass, seniors must be in whole or part-owner of additional vehicles to be eligible for a discounted multiple passes.
In addition to these, there are a number of "specialty" passes available. These apply to disabled veterans, first-responders, and various other groups.
This seems a bit complicated to me. In any event, there is a Colorado State Park pass out there with your name on it. Do a little research, and you'll find the pass that's right for you.