GJ Parks & Rec Just Posted Tons of Awesome Seasonal Jobs
Are you searching for seasonal, part-time work? The City of Grand Junction just posted several such jobs.
If you enjoy sports, gardening, or landscaping, chances are you'll want to pursue one of these opportunities. Are you a "people person"? If so, you might have fun with one of the "events" oriented jobs.
Grand Junction and its Parks and Recreation department frequently post jobs on the city's official webpage. This time of year, though, several openings for seasonal work find their way to the website. Here's a quick rundown of some of the seasonal job opportunities posted yesterday.
What are the responsibilities associated with this job? The website reads:
Perform a variety of duties in the care and maintenance of irrigation systems, equipment and facilities for Golf. Water and maintain landscaped areas consisting of turf, bushes, trees, flowers, and shrubs; prune bushes and shrubs; water, mow, weed, and aerate turf; edge and trim around fence lines and other items; apply herbicides, fungicides, and pesticides safely and accurately...
Seasonal Parks Maintenance Worker positions include opportunities in Forestry, Horticulture, Irrigation, Turf Maintenance, and Weed Abatement/Open Space.
The website lists this job's duties as:
- Patrol City parks, trails, facilities, and buildings by vehicle, bicycle, or on foot
- Parking enforcement and issue parking citations
- Exercise judgment and independent action within departmental and legal constraints to deter criminal and other undesirable activity
- Testify in court as needed
- Provide assistance and information to the general public
- Provide assistance in emergency situations and call for police or medical assistance when appropriate
- Assist in traffic control at various parks and during events
- Work closely with the Grand Junction Police Department and the Parks & Recreation Department
What duties are associated with these job positions?
Perform a variety of duties including, but not limited to, the sales of services and merchandise, arranging merchandise displays, the collection of greens fees and passes, making tee time reservations, in addition to other tasks associated with daily golf shop operations.
What qualifications are needed?
Experience in customer service and retail sales including cash register operations and knowledge in golf course operations is recommended.
I know people who would PAY the city to let them have this job. What's involved?
- Perform a variety of duties, responsibilities, and operations including landscaping, mowing, sports field maintenance, horticulture, weed abatement, irrigation, and weed cutting.
- Participate in all phases of maintenance assignments and facilitation of sporting and special events for Sports Facility operations.
- Perform a variety of duties directly related to athletic field preparation and maintenance for events such as baseball, football, track, soccer, softball, special events.
- Operate the specialized equipment needed for field preparation.
- Assist with the care/maintenance of natural and synthetic turf; clean, maintain, coordinate, and set up the Hospitality Suite.
- Clean restrooms, bleachers, shelters, buildings, and other assigned areas.
- Operate and perform minor repairs to stadium infrastructure such as P.A. systems, field lighting, locker room facilities, scoreboards, etc.
- Work closely with coaches, athletic directors, and staff to meet the maintenance needs of facility users.
I don't believe I've seen this job listing before. What's involved?
This position provides additional support to the Recreation Leader II positions while interacting daily with camp participants. Summer camp participants range in age from 5-15 years old. Camps run from 7:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
The duties associated with this job include:
- Assist with the setup and takedown of removable 8-foot hoops, spectator chairs, and team benches.
- Time games per the schedule.
- Monitor spectators
- Keep games on schedule by enforcing established period times and quick substitutions.