Mesa County's residential open burn season starts Thursday

"Come on baby, light my fire". The Doors knew when to start a fire. If a fire is something you need to clean up a piece of property, clear some brush, or burn off some dead grass, it's time to reach out to the Mesa County Public Health Office and get yourself a permit.

As last year, all permits will be issued through their website. It's important that you know what kind of land you have in order to receive the correct permit. That way you're sure to not break any city or county ordinances.

Mesa County officials would like to remind you too that composting is an option to open burns. Yard waste can be taken to the Mesa County Organic Materials composting facility at Mesa County Solid Waste, 3071 U.S. Hwy. 50. The facility takes all organic materials such as leaves, grass, tree limbs, unpainted lumber, hay, or straw free of charge from all Mesa County residents. The composting facility is open 8 a.m. to 4:15 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday. Composting is an excellent alternative, as burning can affect air quality.

This spring Mesa County residential open burn season starts Thursday, March 1st and continues through May 31st. The fall residential burn season is from September 1st through the end of October. For more information, you can call (970) 248-6900 or click HERE.

More From 95 Rock