Best Stand Up Paddleboard Spots in Western Colorado
In the past few years getting onto a stand-up paddleboard has gained popularity quickly. Now you will find lots of people even doing Yoga on a SUP board. It is a great activity to keep you in shape as long as you get the hang of balancing on the board. And we live in a great area to try out a stand-up paddleboard if you want to see what it's like.
A few years back I went on a family trip to the Florida Keys and while some of the family jumped on SUP boards I went with the easier option of jumping into a kayak. While it's still fun to kayak you don't get to stand up on the water, which is just awesome to think about standing up on a board in the middle of a lake.
If you're interested in renting a SUP board or purchasing one and hitting the water here in Colorado, here are 5 great spots for you to check out.
- Grass Valley Reservoir in Silt - While it's known to be a great spot for fishing, the crystal clear water is also perfect go get on a SUP board.
- James M. Robb Colorado River State Park in Palisade - You can see signs for the state park on I-70 but it's perfect for a picnic or swimming as well as SUPing.
- Grand Mesa Lakes in Mesa - There are eight Mesa lakes with over 300 individual lakes and reservoirs. Explore a little and you will find a tremendous secluded spot.
- Sweitzer Lake Park in Delta - The lake was created for recreation and family fun. But motorized boats are allowed on the lake so be sure to bring a lifejacket.
- Trout Lake in Telluride - Only 15 minutes from downtown Telluride, perfect for summertime fun. Plus you get to enjoy the beautiful mountain scenery and lots of hiking trails too.
Have fun on the water, just be safe. If there are other places that you think are perfect to get on a stand-up paddleboard let us know.