Weekend Community Events For May 31-June 2
We’re definitely entering the summer months now, and not just because the weather is getting warmer (which it is). School is out, and more people are itching to stay outside longer for various events.
With the month of June starting Saturday, weekends are starting to become jam-packed with a variety of community events.
Here’s a list of what’s coming up this weekend:
- The 2013 Junior College World Series (JUCO) will finish up this weekend. At this writing, the championship game will be either Friday or Saturday, depending on the outcome of Thursday’s games. One noticeable change for games on Friday and/or Saturday – game time is slated for 7:00 p.m. for Friday, as well as Saturday (if there is a Saturday game).
- Absolute Dance is presenting dance recital performances daily through Saturday at Colorado Mesa University’s Robinson Theater, 12TH Street and North Avenue in Grand Junction. The performances will feature dancers preschool through adult and dances of every genre. For performance times, call 255-8322.
- School’s Out Party at the Pool is set for 1:30 to 7:30 p.m. Friday at the Lincoln Park Moyer Pool in Grand Junction. Admission is $2.50 for youth, and the price includes use of the pool slide. For more information, call 254-3866.
- The Testicular Cancer Awareness Foundation will kick off its 2013 Tee Off for Testicular Cancer Golf Series with a VIP Party at 6:00 p.m. Friday at Allen Unique Autos in Grand Junction. This will be followed by the organization’s first golf tournament on Saturday. Special guest appearances by PGA Professionals Rick Woodson and Todd Barranger. For more information, call 970-216-1364.
- The Fourth Annual Community Hospital Magnet 5K Run/Walk will take place Saturday at Eagle Rim Park in Orchard Mesa. Check in begins at 8:00 a.m. and the timed Run/Walk set for 8:30 a.m. For more information, call 970-256-6570.
- The Grand Mesa Jeep Club Offroad Show is set for 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Saturday at the Mesa County Fairgrounds, 2785 U.S. Highway 50 in Grand Junction. The annual Off Road Show is a gathering of off-road enthusiasts, including all forms of motorized recreation, camping, hunting, and fishing. Activities include a huge car show style show of off-road vehicles, a parts swap meet, and a small rock crawling event on site. For more information, call 858-1394.
- Anyone who’s interested in skateboarding and/or street art is welcome to attend Mural Jam. Super Rad Art Jam will present Mural Jam at 10:00 a.m. Saturdayat Westlake Skateboard Park, 325 West Orchard Avenue in Grand Junction. The competition includes prizes in each skateboarding category and a cash prize for the People’s Choice Mural. For more information, call 254-3866.
- The 5th Annual Vintage Motorcycle Show will take place from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Saturday on Main Street in Palisade. This vintage motorcycle show will include a silent auction, trophy awards, family entertainment, and live music. Proceeds will benefit Operation Interdependence. For more information, call 216-8633.
- Allen Unique Autos, 2285 River Road in Grand Junction, will host a tailgate party to kick-off Country Jam. Festivities begin at 6:00 p.m. Saturday. Food and beverages will be available on site. For more information, call 263-7410.
- Western Colorado Dragway will begin its 2013 season on Saturday at the Western Colorado Dragway, 115 32 Road in Grand Junction. Admission is $10 (kids under 13 are free). Start time is approximately 7:00 p.m. For more information, call 243-9022.
- Grand Valley Dressage Society Horse Show is scheduled Saturday and Sunday at the Mesa County Fairgrounds Covered Arena, 2785 U.S. Highway 50 in Grand Junction. The event begins at 8:00 a.m. both days, and admission is free. For more information, call 255-7100.
- The Grand Junction Visitor and Convention Bureau and Colorado Mesa University will host the Special Olympics Colorado Summer Games Saturday and Sunday at Colorado Mesa University. Over the course of two days, more than 1,200 athletes with disabilities from all over the state will compete in track and field, gymnastics, swimming, power lifting, and soccer. For more information, call 720-359-3100.